Popular Posts

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wenger rules out taking England job

Arsene Wenger has ruled himself out of the running for the England job.


Wenger has been strongly linked with the position after Fabio Capello announced his shock resignation on Wednesday night.


Although Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is the clear favourite to take over from Capello, Wenger has also been talked about as a possible replacement for the Italian coach.


But the Arsenal manager is adamant he is not interested in the England job and is focused on doing his best for the north London club this season.


Wenger said: "I have never really been tempted by the national team job because for me it is a completely different job.


"I am a little bit in a marathon job inside the club and the national team job is a sprinter's job. I am more interested in a day-to-day basis job. Believe me I have ruled myself out of many national team jobs.


"England is a big football country with over 65 million people who have a big passion for the game. I love England and I want England to do well. Therefore I let the FA to deal with that problem.


"I will speak to Capello at some stage, I don't have his opinion at all. I spoke with him on Saturday before the Blackburn game and he didn't look like somebody talking to me who was about to resign. That is why it was a big surprise to me.


"I do not know what happened behind the scenes and that is why it is difficult for me to come out on that. In principle, the manager chooses the captain. What happened behind that, I don't know, and in fairness at the moment I have other worries than that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts