Popular Posts

Friday, October 28, 2011

Anton Ferdinand: I won’t let this ruin my game

ANTON FERDINAND insists he will not allow the John Terry race storm to ruin his game.

The QPR defender has found himself the unwitting subject of an FA investigation following Sunday's stormy west London derby clash with Chelsea.

Terry stands accused of making racist comments to Ferdinand during Chelsea's 1-0 defeat, an allegation the England captain has strenuously denied.

But it is Ferdinand who is having to deal with the fall-out from the incident, which has also attracted the attention of the Metropolitan Police.

Speaking for the first time since Sunday's game, Ferdinand told SunSport: "I am not going to let any of this affect my game.

"All week in training I have been focusing on nothing other than my preparations for Sunday's game at Spurs.

"People have been stopping me in the streets and talking to me but when you're in the public eye that happens every day of the week.

"Of course it's been a bit more strenuous this week but it's when people don't want to talk to you or take your picture that you have a problem. It's football as usual as far as I'm concerned.

"The bottom line is that I'm playing in the best league in the world week in, week out. So how can I not be enjoying myself?"

Ferdinand, 26, is under strict orders not to discuss the specifics of Sunday's game after QPR submitted a formal complaint to the FA.

But the laid-back defender is clearly coping with the added attention and is even looking forward to getting more abuse at the weekend.

He said: "I know I'm going to get booed at White Hart Lane because of my West Ham connections and because I once scored a last-minute goal against them.

"But I'm looking forward to another competitive London derby and the only thing that matters is getting another good result for QPR. The win against Chelsea will always mean the world to our supporters. But for the team that result won't mean anything if we don't back it up with a decent performance against Spurs."

Ferdinand signed for QPR in a £5million deadline-day move from Sunderland and is relishing the opportunity to play regular Premier League football again.

He said: "I'm enjoying my football and that is showing in my form for QPR. This game is all about confidence and if you're in the team one minute and out of it the next, you're never going to be at your best. I had three years at Sunderland and in that time we progressed from being a yo-yo club to an established Premier League side who finished in the top 10 last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts